Monday, September 3, 2007

Hello my dah-links! Plus a self-realization

My fuzzy kitten greets you as well with a quick suck on the earlobe, (don't ask). I though that since this is my first blog post here, I'd introduce myself. I'm Kate, a queer woman living in the DC area, working at a nonprofit trying to save the world, which is pretty damn hard work. I have a great affection for animals that gets me into trouble, a love of science fiction, graphic novels, (I worship at the altar of Neil Gaiman), politics, and general rabble rousing. As I have something in the works for later this week, I just want to start off with a small self-realization.

Having gone to a women's college that is quite GLBTQ friendly, being of the non-straight populace was never a major issue. However, having graduated and moved away, it's been interesting. I've been lucky, in fact, privileged to have grown up with, been educated with, and basically surrounded by people who have been loving and accepting of my identity and that of other non-straight people. I've been surrounded by those who have been compassionate and understanding, who understand that not everyone fits into the male/female hetero model and I am eternally grateful for that experience.

That being said, the longer I have been out of college, the more strongly I feel tied to my queer identity. Along with that is the realization that my identity may someday lead to discrimination of some sort. It's a terribly frightening idea that someone may not give me a chance based on who I am, who I was born as. I know, this is a "duh, stupid" sort of thing, but it is something relatively new to me. It's just one more motivating factor to add to my list in my quest to make a positive difference.

No comments: