Monday, May 26, 2008

Happiness as a Feminist/Radical Activist

This is a modified post from my personal blog. A few weeks ago my boss said something about how our workplace had always been a place for people who had their eyes open politically and then made a joke about how that's probably why three quarters of the staff is on anti-depressants. That got me thinking...

Mostly i've been of the opinion that feminists are generally happier with their lives and themselves personally because they can sort of shed all that social programmed shit. But a few weeks ago i was feeling more like i didn't want to read some of my new feminist books/feminist news sources because it's just too much. Sometimes i get in these moods where i'm all inside my head so i try to distract myself by watching Friends (which i really like, actually). But then I start thinking about the ways in which it's not actually that funny because it insults women or plays on insecurities of personal appearance (or any social insecurities, really). The other day i was wondering if the acquaintances I have who AREN'T feminists are actually happier in their bubbles because they don't spend time worrying/raging about rape victim blaming/women body hating/sexuality fearing societies/etc. They can just go on with their lives not worrying about or being aware of larger social issues.

But then again, there are so many non-feminists who participate in fucked up shit like weight-losing contests, etc. That's kind of fucked. I guess at least i don't have to worry about that kind of shit. (not because i'm perfect, obviously, but because i'm okay with my body).

thoughts? does this sound self-centered of me? i'm beginning to feel like my non-feminist acquaintances are weary of me because they think i think i'm better than them or something. but some of them don't seem to care about anything that happens to other people. I told one of them about the DSM-V Committee on Gender Identity Disorders and she just said "oh" and left the conversation. "Oh?" "OH?!?!?!?!???" "Oh, your identity as a person might get reclassified as a psychological disorder thereby subjecting you to degrading and horrific "aversion therapy should you ever need to go to a psychologist?" "OH??? No big deal. Whatever Sarah, I'm going to go make out with my boyfriend now." Or worse, "how dare you get angry and bring to my attention the fact that you are oppressed!" AGGGHHHH!!!!

on other news: i am SO EXCITED for this book: http://feministing.com/archives/008218.html

3 comments:

Feminist Review said...

I think that having a consciousness that involves the massive amount of social injustice that exists, and the desire to create some sort of lasting change is immensely satisfying and depressing at the same time. And I think that your roommate just isn't in a place in her life where she feels prepared to take on that kind of responsibility, which sucks for you because you need folks around you who can support you through the sad times and laugh with you in the good ones. Seek that out for yourself, and try not to be too disappointed when people can't live up to what you need from them in that moment.

And when I'm feeling weary of non-fiction, I switch to fiction. At the moment, I'm reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I just finished Invitation to a Beheading by Nobokov, which is beautifully written and speaks exactly to what it is that I think you're feeling: being an outsider who isn't able to or desiring to fit into a messed up world.

Much love to you.

DontBoxSarah said...

thanks for your comments! my friend was just telling me how much she liked Invitation to a Beheading actually. I liked The Alchemist quite a bit, but wasn't a fan of the writing style (or maybe it was the way it was translated). For funny not-so-fluffy fluff I highly recommend The True Meaning of Smekday. Hilariously incompetent alien invasions with a smattering of smart references to imperialism, xenophobia and other things that let you know that the author (adam rex) has his thinking cap on.

Feminist Review said...

you're very welcome. and i'll definately check this out. i don't have enough sci-fi in my life. :)